Friday, October 20, 2006

Earthquake

I experienced my first earthquake this morning. I was laying in bed, having just hit snooze after my alarm went off at 5:45, and all of a sudden my bed started to shake a little bit. It wasn't too big, but definitely was nothing I had ever felt before. A couple of minutes later, when I still wasn't out of bed, a much bigger tremor happened. I lay in bed and watched my whole room shake. It was the strangest experience. The second tremor lasted for about a minute. I literally laid there while it happened and wondered what I should do. We do earthquake drills at school, but I never really thought about what I should do in my apartment. I figured I was safe in my room - there aren't any pictures on the walls around my bed and there is nothing sitting up high that could fall over. I heard my dishes shake in the cabinets in the kitchen and watched my closet doors move back and forth. I looked out the window to see if I could see the buildings moving, but they looked still. The car alarms on my street started to go off, but that was all that happened. As suddenly as it started, it was over. My friend Ben, being the scientist guy, looked the quake up on the US Geological Service when we got to school. Here is the info on my first earthquake:
magnitude 6.5 (considered pretty strong)
epicenter 50 km (30 miles) W of Chincha Alta, Peru
155 km (95 miles) SSE of Lima
What a way to start off the day!!

No comments: